A brief introduction to Vanessa - The Diabetic Health Coach
I am a young, energetic, health and fitness coach in my mid-twenties, living and breathing T1 Diabetes – something that I am not ashamed to admit.
I was diagnosed with Diabetes at a very young age, therefore I am completely used to living with the condition, as well as being incredibly accepting of what I am required to do on a daily basis to keep myself alive and healthy.
However, I am also aware of how tough living with Diabetes can be, emotionally, physically and psychologically.
But, one thing that I have both learnt is that, Diabetes should never stop anyone achieving their goals and living their life to the full.
So what is one thing that makes me angry, the ‘Diabetic’ stereotype of fat, lazy and overweight individuals. This is what pushes me to do what I do, prove people wrong by showing that optimal health and fitness is possible with diabetes.
I am a qualified nutritional advisor and level 3 personal trainer, with a passion to help, motivate and inspire other diabetics to reach their goals, whether fitness related or not. From personal experiences, I understand that in order to achieve optimal Diabetes control for BOTH T1 and T2 Diabetics, it is vital to:
- Have a healthy, balanced diet
- Participate in regular physical activity
- Maintain a positive mentality
- Participate in beneficial medical regime behaviours
- Seek out effective peer support
This is where I come in.
Using my knowledge, experiences and expertise, I aim to help other diabetics achieve their fitness, health or personal goals, whilst also maintaining stable BG levels and optimum diabetes control. The services I offer include:
- Diabetic specific 1:1 health/weight management coaching
- Gym training plans
- Behaviour modification programmes to improve behaviours such as BG testing, healthy eating, exercise participation, self-monitoring etc.
- A support network where Diabetics can communicate and share experiences, improve their knowledge of the condition, or to just vent their frustration
- Monthly newsletters
It is incredibly important to not let diabetes get in the way of living our lives to the full, regardless of what type of diabetes we may have.
My aim is to help, encourage, motivate and most importantly inspire others to reach their goals in life.